I learned that you can set your own words to autocorrect. This becomes extremely helpful if you know you misspell a word a lot. You can also use the Find/Change menu to change all of the same word into something else at once. In this lesson I needed to change the word “bird” found all through the text. So instead of finding them manually and individually changing them, I could just use the Find/Change menu to edit all of the same words at once.
This lesson couldn’t have been any easier. All I did was add the super long text by simply placing a text file into the text frames. From there all I had to do was give the text sub heads and making sure the text doesn’t overlap anything. I was able to adjust all the text just by using the paragraph tools and styles.
To do this lesson I used a lot of the same tools I did in the previous lesson. I didn’t struggle with anything in this lesson, however I did learn about a neat little tool called “Text Wrap.” It allows you to easily make text wrap around images or objects in your design. Like how the text wraps around the flowers in the second image on the right.
This lesson was surprisingly challenging, if not for the reference piece mine wouldn’t look like this at all. My biggest challenge was trying to figure what the lesson guide was telling me where to put things, and with all these guides it got really confusing. I learned a lot of useful tips, like how you can place multiple different files in at the same time, and how master pages affect all the other pages and when working in the non master pages you don’t have to worry about messing up things in the master page.
In this lesson I learned how to change text with color, bold, and italicizing words to make text more interesting and make the items that you actually want to read pop out. I also learned how to import images and how you can choose where and how big the size of the imported file will be.
You can use some cool windows to help you. Such as the tool hints window, it tells you cool tips about the selected tool. The notes and track change panels allows for easy communication on collaborations and can see what others have done. The keyboard shortcuts window allows you to fully customize all the hotkeys which allows you to easily grab certain tools or open certain windows.
This glossy text wasn’t terrible to make. I basically just messed with many layers of the base name adding different colors every where to make it pop. I used the pathfinder tool, minus front, to get the edging colors around the name to give it a 3D effect. The only real problem I had with this was making all the layers and making sure it was all lined up perfectly.
This smoky text was pretty easy to do. All I had to do to achieve this effect was make a brush and apply it to the pencil drawing. I used the pencil tool to write my name, then after making the brush by simply using the pen tool to make something that looked like smoke rising from a cigar, you combined it with a bunch of small lines and you get this smoky effect. The thing I struggled with was trying to get it to somewhat look like my name with the pencil.
This chocolate effect was actually pretty fun to make. I made my name by copying and pasting the same brown square over and over until you got this pixelated name. Then to get the rounded ends you took a circle and minus fronted it from the square. To make it look like chocolate squares I used the 3D extrude and bevel effect. To make the chocolate puddle I simple made a big rectangle and used the Distort and Transform, Roughen effect. Lastly to give the puddle the 3D effect I did the same thing I did with the glossy text by using the same shape to to make the glossy edges. I didn’t have a struggle with this one just a bit time consuming.
To make this was fairly quite simple, I used the pen tool to make the flower petals and the cut in the lily pads and used the ellipse tool to make everything else. Then I enhanced it further with the gradient tool and blends to make the color changes in the petals and lily pads. To make the background I used a gradient mesh and selectively choose where I wanted colors to make it look like it has depth. I liked using the pen tool to make all the different petals and the gradient mesh was really cool to use to add color where I wanted.
Creating this jellyfish was quite difficult. The instructions were hard to follow and their proportions were way off from mine so I had to do lots of improvising. It came out quite like what it was supposed to and I’m proud of my work. My favorite part was creating the tentacles and making it look like its flowing with the water. My least favorite and most difficult thing to do was trying to get the blends to work and making the brush tools from scratch.
To make this yeti was mainly just using the ellipse and pen tool. I used the clipping mask to make the feet and the horns and minus front on to make the fur look like it’s growing over the feet. I didn’t really struggle with anything other than just making sure I was following the instructions correctly.